25 Nov Love thy Teammate: Using Sport to Bring People Together
Prejudice and discrimination, inequalities of opportunity and social alienation are significant problems both within and without the sporting world. I suggest using sport as a tool to change the attitudes of people in the victimised groups as well as those who discriminate; and consequently to increase the opportunities for people from minority groups to participate in sport and in a more inclusive society.
Proposed policies are
- In school, increase the quantity and diversity of school sports and promote diverse sports scholarships at universities.
- In communities, introduce village sports days, draft minorities consultants on local projects, integrate specialised & regular sporting facilities, and subsidise outreach & regeneration projects by socially significant sports.
- In the workplace, target coaching programs at minority groups.
- In the media, introduce government-sponsored coverage of diverse sports.
- Investing in big sporting championships is a way of advancing equality issues on a national and international stage.